Thursday, August 7, 2008

A book review "Little Brother"

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
A Tor Teen Book

WARNING: This book may cause you to question authority!

How much power should the Department of Homeland Security have? What rights should they be able to violate? How much personal freedom is "security" worth? This is the story of one teenager who is pushed too far by the DHS after a terrorist attack in San Francisco. A teenager who perhaps fights back a little too hard. It's a coming of age story about rebellion, patriotism, technology, perceived security, and love. Somehow related to, yet completely different from Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four , this book is set in the almost now, as in this could happen in a couple of years, so like, be ready!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

But... did you like it?

S. Brykczynski said...

Dear Tristan,
You gave me the book on Saturday, I started reading it on Monday, I blogged on my bolg about it on Thursday.
I know that I read a lot faster than the average bear but that's 382 pages in four days so.......Did I like it?
WHAT DO YOU THINK?!!!!
I've now passed it to Andrew, who will take much much longer to read it.
You should read it. You would really dig it I think. It's not as out there as "Someone comes to town, someone leaves town" but the writing is just as good and the story is much more compelling.

Lorraine A D Alvarez said...

Sounds interesting!!! REminds me I really need to read 1984...Lawrence has been bugging the hell out of me to.